Friday, September 18, 2009

Tim Holtz, Cranberry Muffins, and Stamped Wrappers!

I've recently been obsessed with Tim Holtz and his demos. I've been watching them on my netbook and wanted to try some of his techniques. I picked up on something he said - he said he liked to use tags for his demos. My mind went from tags to Cupcake Wrappers! This morning was a beautiful, crisp fall morning and I decided to make some cranberry muffins and put my idea to work. So, while my muffins were cooling, I went to the computer to print Lindsay's Blank Cupcake Wrappers. There were 3 different distress ink techniques, and well, there were 3 wrappers in the set. It was a sign... I knew I had to do it!
Just a side note - I was afraid it would take a long time to cut out the wrappers and medallions, but being the OCD person I am, I set my timer for just to see how long it would take to cut everything out. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it only took me 11 minutes to cut out all the pieces. A tip I will suggest is when you are cutting both the medallions and the wrappers to turn the paper, not your scissors. You have better control and it goes more quickly. Also a big tip - make sure your wrappers are right-side-up when you decorate them. The long curve is the top and the shorter curve is the bottom. You know why I'm telling you this...I have a set of upside down birds and trucks on my hands!
I made this one for my hubby. It occurred to me recently that I make things for lots of people, and he's usually not one of them! Poor guy! For this one I used distress inks colors Orange Marmalade and Faded Jeans. The stamps are all Tim Holtz. This technique is done by inking your craft mat, adding water and laying your paper on top. Continue with this until you get the desired results. You will need to heat dry after each layer.
The next one I made using only Aged Mahogany ink and Tim Holtz stamps. This one is done by crumpling the paper, inking with a distress pad, and spritzing with water. Next, you iron it flat and start stamping! I think I'm going to give this one to a very special friend. But I'm not saying who it is, in case she reads this before I see her!
The last one is for Halloween. I used Orange Marmalade and Peeled Paint distress inks. This was the technique where you ink up your tool, and start on your craft mat by circling around and on to the paper. More pressure gives you more color. After this one dried, I ran it through my cuttle bug in an embossing folder and added a spooky pumpkin stamp and sentiment to this one. The pumpkin is Lindsay's Stamp Stuff, the sentiment is snag 'em stamps, and the spider is studio g.
Click HERE for the link to the recipe. I made a cream cheese frosting for the top, but cannot find it! So sorry. It's a good one! Click HERE to go to Lindsay's Stamp Stuff and buy these fun wrappers! I think they have endless possiblities! She also makes a birthday set that you can buy and color.
Well, I am off to deliver my goodies. I'll see you all soon. Thanks so much for stopping by...and leave me a comment, it makes my day! Until then, happy stamping everyone!

9 comments:

Margie said...

Very cute!

Kim said...

These are awesome!

K Hutchinson said...

OMG these totally ROCK! So, cool!

Cindi said...

these came out so good, both the muffins and the wrappers! Thanks so much for making a special one for me!!! You are the best!
:)

ljurecek said...

I love all three of these, but the cuttlebugged one looks super cool! I love these wrappers but you added such a great twist with the whole Tim Holtz technique. These are definitely a winner!

Lindsay Weirich said...

those are fantastic! I love them, I havent even played with them yet...I'm waiting to make a "fake cake" to use them with LOL! all I can say is WOW!

Unknown said...

Very cool! I love the tie dye effect!

Karen said...

Tracey, these are FANTASTIC!!!!! I just love this post, love the wrappers, love the colors, the stamping, and all the fabulous texture! These absolutely ROCK!!!! :>

Anonymous said...

These all look lovely and delicious too. I found this Tim Holtz storage and tools at Christina’s Crafts. Check this one out!