Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Comfort Cookies

We all have comfort food, don't we? That food that whenever you eat it, it just makes everything better. At least for a while. And I think that food can be different, depending on what kind of comfort we are seeking, depending on what kind of memories are tied to it.
I have loved cooking (and eating) since I was little. My mom loved to bake. One particular treat I have been thinking about a lot lately is my mom's Pineapple Cookies. I remember her making them; so light and fluffy and mmmm...I even remember when she gave me her brand new recipe box with all the blank cards and asked me to copy some of her favorites onto them (she always hated her handwriting). I remember sitting on the floor at our coffee table, copying recipes and feeling so important.
As I was doing some spring cleaning last week, I stumbled on a box of her old recipes and cook books, and yes, you guessed it, I found the Pineapple Cookie recipe! I was happy and sad all at the same time. I decided to go ahead make a batch. I wasn't sure how they would turn out. Would they taste as good as I remembered? I followed the recipe, just like she would have; hand mixer, flour sifter, and really using a teaspoon to drop the batter onto the cookie sheet - no fancy cookie scoops in my mom's kitchen! Well, not back then anyway...
As the cookies were cooling, I made a cup of tea. You can't have cookies without tea, you know. Mmmm...they were delicious. They were every bit as good as I remembered. Except my mom wasn't here, and I was lonely. So I packed up a basket filled with cookies and tea and took my treasure to visit a friend and share with her. And isn't that what comfort is really all about?

Here is the recipe for those of you who would like to try it:

Pineapple Cookies

3/4 cup Crisco
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Walnuts (optional)
Cream shortening and sugar, add beaten eggs. Add pineapple, then flour, sifted together with the salt, soda and powder. Drop by teaspoons full and bake at 400 degrees F about 10 to 12 minutes.
















One of my favorite pictures of my mom. I miss her so much.

What is your comfort food? I would love to know. Tell me your story...

3 comments:

Margie said...

What a sweet story! Thank you for sharing! My comfort food is soup-there is just something about it that warms my soul!It makes me feel warm inside when it's cold outside (or even just dreary), and makes me feel better when I'm sick!

1CardCreator said...

Yum, your cookies look delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe and the story. Your Mom looks like she was a very sweet and happy woman, I'm sure she would be proud of you sharing your cookies with your friends. I think I'll go get a cup of tea. ~Diane

Karin said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and I miss my mom too...I love using her recipes around the holidays and the ones in her handwriting are especially precious to me.